Thursday, March 13, 2008

ZZZZZZZinnias

Thanks for the input, the zinnias and z's were a clear favorite. Tonya, I like the zzzzzzzinias and will use it maybe as a border. What fun.
I probably will use greens and some blue for the background, with bright, hot colors for the zinnias. Of course I may change my mind once I get going.
For the zinnias, I have a few ideas: the asterisk could work well, especially if I appliqued a circle in the center. I also like Lisajo's flower and will try something like that. But, what I would really like to try is a fan shape. Does anyone have ideas about free-piecing a fan shape?
I will definitely try some z's first though to start getting the feel for things.

3 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

You don't need to applique a circle in the middle of the asterisk. Make an asterisk the way you normally would, but for the very last insert, use a piece that has a square in the middle of it. And if you want it more circular, then add triangles to the corners of the square AND then add that to the middle of the strip and sew it into the asterisk. Did that make any sense. If not, I'll draw a diagram for you.

Let me think about the fan...

Juliann in WA said...

I think it would be so fun to make zzzzz's. I can't wait to see your zinnias too.

Cheryl said...

What a good idea Tonya, I'll try it. Thanks