Thursday, March 20, 2008

Fliegenpilz

Fliegenpilz is the German name for Toadstools. Despite their poisonous nature, they are good luck symbols and populate many gardens and greeting cards. Anyone who's visited my home or blog has probably noticed that I like these pretty little mushrooms and their lore. Hence a Fliegenpilz quilt.

I had originally thought I'd do a big quilt-as-you-go thing sewing green strips directly to my batting/backing and then adding a strip of free pieced mushrooms. But then I woke up this morning with the realization that it needed to be a fairy ring! It will be harder to piece the ring, but I like the design better. I tried out a simple mushroom which i think is on the right track. My daughter saw my sketch and did one of her own. I like the prairie point border she added. I might have to steal that idea! I'm open to any other piecing ideas too.

6 comments:

jude said...

sounds great and i know you can do it....

Juliann in WA said...

What a wonderful plan. This will be fun to watch.

Unknown said...

I love the fairy ring! I can't wait to see it.

Hedgehog said...

Kristin, I know there's a Fliegenpilz quilt in my future, too. Love your daughter's version!

Sarah said...

oooh! I can't wait to follow you on your mushroom quilt journey.

jmb_craftypickle said...

I can't wait to see either...I love to put prairie points on my sketches too...but I haven't made any yet.