Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Turtles

Hi bloggers, my name is Andrea, I'm 58 and I live in Minnesota, USA, about 20 miles outside of Minneapolis/St. Paul. I'm a school nurse and quilting is my sanity! I'm so happy to have found this blog and I love looking at what everyone is posting and I love Tonya's tutorials. For the Lazy Gal 2008 class, I plan to make a quilt with turtles. I'm a pretty new quilter so far (3 years) and my only claim to fame is that I really splurged last summer and took a six-day workshop with Freddy Moran, of Collaborative Quilting and Freddy's Houses, in Ventura, California. I had never taken a trip without my husband, so for me that was bold! I flew with my Pfaff machine as carry-on luggage through five different airports and what an experience that was, believe me! I don't know whether I'd try that again! I had an absolute ball and I made a wild medallion-type quilt, using four of Freddy's chicken blocks off-center as the medallion. Then when I got back home, I went back to using patterns, for security I guess, but I found I was much more free in using my imagination to depart from the pattern as well as be more adventurous with color. I am inspired to find a group like this one here and hope it will motivate me to go further with just letting go and doing my own thing. Bye for now, Andrea

5 comments:

Sarah said...

turtles! yay - I can't wait to see them.

i love Collaborative Quilting - very inspiring.

Cheryl said...

Oh, I love turtles - can't wait to see how you do them. How fortunate to be able to take a class from Freddy Moran - that must have been a lot of fun.

black bear cabin said...

turtles...darn...i wish i thought of that :) that sounds cute! cant wait to see what you create!
cheers~lisajo

jmb_craftypickle said...

WOw that sounds like a great trip!! Welcome!! I love turtles, especially sea turtles.

Tonya Ricucci said...

Wow, a class with Freddy, that sounds amazing. Schlepping a sewing machine through all those airports? aiyee. So happy you found us, this is definitely the spot to be free and loosen up your quilting. turtle sounds like a great idea.