Thursday, March 27, 2008

Starting...learning...

Not my finest photo--but whatever, I had to get a post up. The small houses were started a few weeks ago--they are OK to me, but REALLY need a larger setting to blend in somewhere. The yellow house was my attempt last week--I was trying to get rid of some scraps and now this house is teaching me all about color value---I don't think that there is enough of a difference between the background fabric and the yellow dotty fabric....but initially it looked fine to me.


I was very inspired by Kristin La Flamme's work on houses and made some taller houses this morning...I also found some blue background that reads as a medium and I like it a lot and I have an amount of it, so maybe I can make a few more and see where this goes... we will see. Glad to finally get a post in---I have been reading what people have been posting and it is just great!! Love all the quilting!

10 comments:

Juliann in WA said...

I love your houses! Now I want to do houses too. And bugs and flowers and trees and more teacups - and of course words, words, words.

Tracey in CT said...

Your houses look nice. I like your fabric choices a lot. The blue pieced roof caught my eye!

Carol E. said...

Great houses! You're not afraid of them! They look so fun.

Carol E. said...

I should clarify... my impression is that you are willing to play and not be afraid of the wonkiness, which communicates a wonderful sense of joy. :-)

Mary Johnson said...

I love the very tall houses and the ones with trees too.

Heidi said...

The houses are fun ! I like the yellow big one, it looks like a laughing face

jude said...

i like kristin's houses too! and there is a really great playfulness going on here that i like.

Brenda said...

Actually, I really like your yellow house, and I think the roof provides the contrast between the background and the house colour. It reminds me a dusk when the light is low and everything has a glow on it. I love your tall houses, and your wild prints. I wish I had the nerve to paint my house those colours.

Clare said...

I love tall houses, specially ones with rooves to match and a chimney or 2 toppling over. You've done a brilliant job. I do see what you mean about the background with the dotty fabric, but never mind. Onwards and upwards. I love the one bottom left.

Kristin Shields said...

I really love the tall houses! The yellow one is fine too, don't worry about the background on that one. Looks great!