Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Trees

I have been making trees (no pictures yet). I started by using my "wasted corner" triangles for the tree tops. Feels like I'm crumb-piecing! There are so many seams-- Tonya, how in the world do you hand quilt through such bulk??

No letters/words yet, as I can't decide whether to use a dark or light background. That will be my next step. My trees are turning out good, getting better as I make more. I started out with a certain format in mind, a framework in which to "plant" my ideas. ha! That worked to get me started, but I am quickly changing the plans. I trimmed my first blocks to 3.5"-- sorta small! Now I am starting to leave them untrimmed so I can fit different sizes together later. (Should have done that in the first place. I'm learning!)

2 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

Excellent. I turn to stab stitching when I hit areas with that much bulk. And trust me, I do have bulky bulky areas in my quilts. The other plan is to avoid it somehow. Like my next freehand fan is going to be much bigger, smaller, or lopsided to avoid that mess.

"I'm learning" - thank you for saying that. I feel like I've done my job even though I haven't even done anything!

Juliann in WA said...

I hope you will post pictures of your trees. I want to do trees too. I want to do everything!