Thursday, March 13, 2008

Adjusting "The Plan"

When I posted my initial thoughts, I announced that I would focus on wonky houses. And I will still include a few houses.... BUT I’ve been “pondering” over the past several days rather than jumping right in.

Repetition defined: “The act or an instance of repeating or being repeated”

Here are bits of thoughts that have bouncing about between my brain cells:

I work as a legal administrative assistant/paralegal for three (and sometimes more) corporate/estate planning attorneys. That means I keyboard ALL day long, making edits to an unending flow of documents. “Put the comma in, take the comma out” ~ repetition in its most basic form.

Repetition creates familiarity (and sometimes, irritation).

Repetition can also lead to understanding (and/or frustration).

Repetition is one way of getting things into longer-term memory.

As Pavlov discovered with his dogs, with repetition you can connect a cue or trigger with a selected action.

Music, rhythm and repetition can have a hypnotic effect that often lull us into following a pattern in mindless ways.

Before assisted living, my mother had a dog and a t-shirt with this printed on the front ~
Today’s Agenda: Let the Dog In, Let the Dog Out, Let the Dog In, Let the Dog Out

So, where am I going with this?

I’ve decided to modify my game plan for this quilt. I want to make houses, but I also want to do much more and not get so intense about one particular element.

How? I’m going to use one particular fabric as my repeating element. It will be featured, along with an assortment of companionably scrappy colors, in every block, connecting segments, borders, back, and maybe even the binding.

I really don’t know where this approach will lead ~ which, as Tonya can verify, is a giant leap for me. The goal is not just free piecing, but a free spirit as well.


-----------
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." (James Joyce)

4 comments:

Juliann in WA said...

I am looking forward to see how this plan evolves and to watch your spirit fly!

Kristin L said...

Sounds like a great plan. Lets hear it for free spirit!

Unknown said...

I like that- approaching creativity with impeccable logic. Santa Spock would be proud. :) No, really. I love how you really thought that through. I can't wait to see which fabric you pick to focus on.

Lynda said...

Fantastic! Can't wait to see it!