Thursday, March 13, 2008

Juliann - Peace in a cup

This morning I had a moment of inspiration. My daughter's word of the year is Peace. She has made a few paper pieces using this word. I wanted to try and do the word in fabric. I managed to get the word PEACE done before I had to go to work. I couldn't wait to get home and see what would come next. As I looked at the word, I decided she needs some tea cups. When she was in college, she used to have tea parties and one of the things we like to do when se visits is make a pot of tea. So I made some more little teacups - these are about 2 3/4 inches. Then the idea of using the words in a cup came along and before you know it, I had this. It is about 11 1/2" right now. I am thinking just a small border and then it will be ready for quilting. I am looking forward to trying some free hand fans. I hope I can come up with a fun phrase for my own teacup quilt.

9 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

oh this is marvelous. I really truly adore it. Your teacups are great. very very fun. Something to think about: add more white around this, in particular at the top and right side. That will give your letters more room to breathe. Then add the border. Is wonderful not matter what you do. Free hand fans are an excellent plan.

QuiltingFitzy said...

I love your teacups! Teacups are in my future *someday*.

kathi said...

What a great idea, peace in a cup--so simple, yet it conjures so many thoughts.

Lynda said...

Our daughters ought to get together! Mine is a great tea drinker and peace advocate. Maybe I can steal your idea, and make a quilt for her! Yours is gorgeous.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I LOVE your energy ~ your work is such fun!!

Clare said...

Peace is definitely a cup of tea. I love it.

Carol E. said...

Just curious, have you heard about and/or read the book "Three Cups of Tea?" Look into it! This quilt mirrors its themes perfectly.

Cheryl said...

Love what you came up with! Sweet and powerful at the same time and very meaningful for you. Was it difficult to work with such small pieces?

If all the world leaders could just sit down with a cup of tea.....

Magpie Sue said...

What a fabulous saying! Your daughter is going to LOVE this quilt!