Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Introducing Dorothee

Hello all, I've just been added to this blog as a new member of the course. This is my first attempt at such a thing and I am quite excited about it.

I "learned how to quilt" when I lived in Manchester, England, and was looking for a sewing class in autumn of 2002. Patchworking and quilting (I am never sure which term to use) quickly became a way to preserve my sanity as a new mum with a hard-and-endlessly-working husband and a shiny new daughter.

Initially, I was taught paper piecing and some very basic hand quilting. My teacher and most of my class mates believed in "all manual labour" and preferrably cotton-only! I have since diverted from that strict school of quilting and taken a first machine quilting class, which was really good fun.

With my projects, I have a tendency to get in way over my head like when I wanted to convert an A4 drawing from a colouring book into the top for my godson's quilt. But I live and learn. And pondering these projects still manages to keep me sane, especially now that I am a working mother of two bubbly daughters with an even-more-hard-working-and-only-there-on-the-weekends husband.

I am currently trying to figure out what to make of the "repetition" scheme and am excited to see what will come of it. Ideally I'd like to have one larger piece at the end of the summer. Because I'm a straightlaced romantic, it might even revolve around "hearts".

No comments: