Thursday, April 24, 2008

Almost done with the b's and bees

We're having a winter/spring storm here, but my summer project is nearly finished. I'm done with the handquilting, and now I'm thinking about binding. I've pinned a strip of a measuring tape print along the bottom, and I think I like the yellow and black stripes it is creating. But I'm open to suggestions. Overall, I'm ambivalent about this quilt -- I like the letters and how they float around the perimeter, and the abundance of b's. I'm not a pink person, so the the centre of the quilt is a stretch for me. I've also had ambivalent reactions to this project, probably because of the asymetry (which I like and I did on purpose) and because people take time to read it and understand it. This is destined as a gift for my husband Bert, so I'm going to call it Bert's Bees.

7 comments:

the short half of the rest of it said...

I love the 2 B/ two bees in the pink centre! I think the pink makes it a very sweet gift :-)
Elizabeth

Tracey in CT said...

I think the bumblebees in the center on the bright pink make it look like they are on a bunch of flowers...its a nice effect.

Tonya Ricucci said...

I like the binding fabric - works well in both the light and dark area. Does the label have both of your names on it? yes, unfortunately lots of people don't like assymetry and fun. good thing we've found each other on the net!

Heidi said...

Looks great ! and the name is just perfect, another 2 b's :-))
I think I'd try a pink binding, though the bee-like fabric looks fine , too

andreaelizabeth said...

Love the randomness, great risk you took!
Andrea

Quiltdivajulie said...

I so feel your ambivalence. I struggle with that emotion all the time when I'm in the midst of a project.

I used that measuring tape fabric to bind a tool themed quilt for my husband, it works well (and it reinforces the colors of the bumble bees).

Hope you can step back and away at some point and enjoy the fun (obvious and hidden) in your quilt!

Magpie Sue said...

I was sure I'd left a comment here the other day when I saw this post. Wonder what happened to it?

I like the asymmetry too. Like Tonya said, good thing we found each other on the net! I also like the binding you show in the picture. It's enough, but not too much. *Love* the title of the quilt!