Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Monkey Business ~ Help Needed


Here's where the project stands at this moment ~ I'm a bit stuck on what to do with the top border. Contemplating a double row of alternating broken dishes blocks (love the play on words, plus the colors help balance the weight of the 'monkey wrench' blocks at the bottom). What do you see?
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! [note added later - please see my post of July 24 to see a rough sketch for my early asymmetrical border ideas]

Quiltdivajulie

6 comments:

Nancie said...

It's coming together well! I love your yellow piano key border. I think 2 rows of Broken Dishes at the top would balance things nicely. The straight lines provide the right contrast with the spirals at the bottom. If you need more 'weight' at the top, try adding a very narrow horizontal black strip between the two rows of quarter-square triangles.

Kristin Shields said...

I like Nancie's idea. I think it needs a bit more weight at the top, but the broken dishes look great. The whole quilt is wonderful!

Nancie said...

Hi, it's me again! :-) I had another thought: I would like to see the Broken Dishes extend all the way to the righthand edge of the quilt. This would give that top border more weight by making it longer, and the borders would become asymmetrical (unpredictable). Just play around and you'll come up with the perfect arrangement. You're doing great so far!

Tonya Ricucci said...

Julie, this is looking fantastic. so much fun. keep making your blocks. need to see them in place to know what it looks like. the piano key squiggle border is awesome.

Chris Daly said...

I love your concept! I'll be sure to stay on your good side. Those flying monkeys are frightening!

domi2.5 said...

LOL Love this quilt!! You're very talented.